PRAYING FOR THE 2021 ELECTIONS, THE GOVERNANCE SPHERE AND THE FUTURE OF UGANDA, AND DEDICATING THE NEW DECADE
19th August – 7th October 2020
DAY ONE PRAYER GUIDE
ISAIAH 51:15-16 (NKJV)
15But I am the Lord your God,
Who divided the sea whose waves roared—
The Lord of hosts is His name.
16And I have put My words in your mouth; [Emphasis Added]
I have covered you with the shadow of My hand,
That I may plant the heavens,
Lay the foundations of the earth, [Emphasis Added]
And say to Zion, ‘You are My people.’”
JEREMIAH 1:9,10 (ESV)
Then the Lord put out his hand and touched my mouth. And the Lord said to me,
“Behold, I have put my words in your mouth.
See, I have set you this day over nations and over kingdoms,
to pluck up and to break down,
to destroy and to overthrow,
to build and to plant.”
On 8th October 2012, the eve of our nation’s Golden Jubilee, we covenanted our nation to God for His purposes in the next 50 years. Leading up to Independence Day annually, Uganda Jubilee Network organizes a season of prayer focusing on seeking God’s face and praying for the fulfillment of His purposes for our land. The main focus of this year’s prayer and fasting season is praying for the Celebration, and Media Spheres and the move of God in the market place. We invite the Body of Christ to participate in this prayer season starting 19th August 2020 and ending 7th October 2020.
A divine visitation is underway, the Word of God has gone out already. We must get ready. This is a time of commissioning, of birthing and arising – and this is for those that are yielded, that are truly seeking the heart of God.
Historically, preceding revival, people prayed together, asking God for the revival. This was accompanied by a deep desire for change, “to win the world for Christ”. The focus for this season of prayer is to proclaim what we have been hearing in the spirit for some time. It is a season of proclaiming God’s Word over the nation and calling His visitation into every sector.
It is a time for speaking what we see in the spirit and declaring our faith in God’s ability to take us into our futures, just as Joshua and Caleb did at Kadesh Barnea after they came back from the 40-day expedition of the Promised Land. We are called to plant what God has shown and silence the evil reports. Similarly, we must speak forth a church that is positioned for this season; a church that is strengthened in the knowledge of the Word, united, prepared for divine visitation, the harvest of the souls, and discipling of the nation. It will be a church that discerns the season and God’s direction, as He leads.
The objectives for the 2020 prayer season are:
- To pray for the praying for the 2021 elections, the Governance sphere and the future of Uganda, and dedicating the new decade.
- To pray for a new understanding of discipling the Governance Sphere as being part of the Great Commission and to commit to this mandate
- To humble ourselves before God and face up to our failures in regard to discipling the Governance Sphere
- To wage spiritual warfare against the hordes of hell that are confusing the church and resisting her advance in the Governance sphere
- To pray for the full manifestation of God’s Kingdom in the Governance sphere of Ugandan society by the Jubilee in 2062
- To renew our covenant with God concerning our nation
- To seek God’s enablement for us to fulfill our individual, family, congregational and organizational roles in seeing God’s plan for our generation come to pass.
The prayer guide has daily focuses of prayer and is structured to begin with worship and praise.
Followed by thanksgiving, planting and proclaiming.
Guidelines for the prayer and fasting
- The recommended mode of fasting is taking one meal over a 24-hour period. We encourage the drinking of plenty of water and light fluids.
- While we encourage believers to participate in all the 50 days, we recognize that many believers are not accustomed to this length of fast, and some have just completed other fasting seasons. We therefore suggest some variations for those who would like to take part in a shorter fast during the period. Please note that there is liberty as you respond to what the Lord is putting on your heart.
- A chosen day(s) of every week to fast and pray over the themes of that week.
- Alternatively one could choose one week during the seven-week period to fast and pray over all the themes covered in the prayer guide.
- This period provides the opportunity for every believer to exercise him or herself in the discipline of fasting and stretch him or herself a little more than they are accustomed to.
- Personal, family, organizational, and local congregational matters regarding God’s plans for the future should be covered in addition to the themes in this guide.
Dates to Note:
- Follow the virtual prayer meetings posted on the Uganda Jubilee Network website.
- Prayer groups and congregations should organize their own prayer times too.
- A three-day virtual conference as we conclude the fast: Monday, 5th October 2020 to Wednesday, 7th October 2020.
- Thursday, 8th October 2020: Independence Eve night prayer vigil. Dedicating the year 2020/2021 and the new decade.
GUIDING TEXT FOR THE FASTING SEASON
1Behold, a king will reign in righteousness,
And princes will rule with justice.
2A man will be as a hiding place from the wind,
And a cover from the tempest,
As rivers of water in a dry place,
As the shadow of a great rock in a weary land.
3The eyes of those who see will not be dim,
And the ears of those who hear will listen.
4Also the heart of the rash will understand knowledge,
And the tongue of the stammerers will be ready to speak plainly.
5The foolish person will no longer be called generous,
Nor the miser said to be bountiful;
6For the foolish person will speak foolishness,
And his heart will work iniquity:
To practice ungodliness,
To utter error against the Lord,
To keep the hungry unsatisfied,
And he will cause the drink of the thirsty to fail.
7Also the schemes of the schemer are evil;
He devises wicked plans
To destroy the poor with lying words,
Even when the needy speaks justice.
8But a generous man devises generous things,
And by generosity he shall stand.
WEEK ONE (19th – 25th August 2019)
This week covers our families and the communities that we are a part of. Family is the foundational institution of society. God created families to be places where we receive instruction on how to live with others in community. It is where values are learnt and culture is bred. Successful living in family and community is a reflection of how one will live as a citizen of a country. Families are also environments where we learn how to respond to authority and how to lead others.
WEDNESDAY, 19th AUGUST 2020 – YOUR PERSONAL LIFE
Enter His Presence with praise and thanksgiving
33I will sing to the Lord as long as I live; I will sing praise to my God while I have my being.
Worship God who created you with purpose
“Before I formed you in the womb I knew you; before you were born I sanctified you; I ordained you
a prophet to the nations.”
Praise God for the opportunity to partner with Him in the affairs of Uganda
“Ask of Me, and I will give You the nations for Your inheritance, and the ends of the earth for Your possession.”
- Give thanks to God for creating an opportunity this year for everyone to stop and reflect on life matters during lockdown.
- Give thanks for God’s provision, protection, guidance and spiritual growth regarding your personal life.
2 Corinthians 13:5
“Examine yourselves as to whether you are in the faith. Test yourselves. Do you not know yourselves, that Jesus Christ is in you? Unless indeed you are disqualified!”
PROCLAMATION OVER YOUR LIFE BASED ON ISAIAH 32:1-8
Behold, God is raising me in the areas of authority that He has given (and will give me in future), to reign in righteousness, and the leaders under me to rule with justice. I will be
as a hiding place from the wind for those that I lead, and a cover from the storm. I will be a source of refreshment and renewal to my followers as rivers of water in a dry place. I will be a covering from the heat that has come upon this generation, just like
the shadow of a great rock in a weary land. By God’s grace my followers will grow and become much better than I found them. With God’s help, I will open up their eyes and ears so that their eyes will not be dim, neither will their ears be dull. Those who are rash, careless and ignorant
among them will gain understanding of knowledge, and the tongue of the stammerers will be trained to speak plainly. Wisdom and honor will be restored to their true meanings; generosity will abound and foolishness and wickedness will be despised. As for those who practice iniquity and ungodliness, and those who utter error against the Lord, keep the hungry unsatisfied, and cause the drink of the thirsty to fail, they will have no place in my reign. So will those who scheme evil and devise wicked plans to destroy the poor with lying words
even when the needy speaks justice. Rather the generous and upright will stand and the righteous will flourish.