I Timothy 4:7:
“For physical training is of some value…”
I Corinthians 9:24:
“Everyone who competes in the games goes into strict training…”
Main Prayer Focus of the Week:
- That there will be a new understanding of discipling Sports and Recreation as a part of the Great Commission.
- Envisioning: To pray for fresh vision for sports and recreation in light of the Great Commission and the Kingdom of God.
- Spiritual Warfare: To wage war against the hordes of hell that are confusing the church and resisting her advance on this mountain.
- Recommitment to fulfilling the Great Commission in the Celebration Sphere especially as it relates to sports and recreation.
OVERVIEW OF THE WEEK’S THEME
The Scriptures often use sports in good light, to illustrate a teaching and provide more insight into it. In the first verse quoted above, Paul contrasts exercising with the body with exercising with the spirit. Though the latter is better, the former is noted as being good. Due to the conveniences of modern life, we are exercising our bodies less and less. As a result, the rate of growth of non-communicable diseases like diabetes, heart disease and cancer is increasing at a fast rate.
Additionally, sports activities draw out some of the most emotive expressions of patriotism for nations.
PRAYING FOR THE SPORTS AND RECREATION SECTOR
- Thank God for bodies He gave us and the ability to move, walk, run (if you are able to do so).
- Thank God for the sportsmen and women in the country who have developed and are using their abilities to promote the Kingdom of God.
- Praise the Lord for the victories and advances Ugandan sportsmen have made in netball, football, athletics, chess, etc.
- Praise the Lord for the sense of patriotism that these victories have brought to the country.
Ask God’s forgiveness for:
- The laziness that is creeping in on the country due to a sedentary lifestyle that is now resulting in the increase in non-communicable diseases like diabetes, heart disease and cancer.
- The failures of the Church to lead the way in promoting exercise and rest.
- The scandals and corruption associated with the bodies governing sports in the country
- The sports and recreation will be promoted for the citizens of Uganda and will play a strong role in unifying the country.
- Policies will be formulated that will create conditions that will make it conducive for the private sector to effectively participate in the development of recreation and sports.
- Corruption in the national administration of sports will be exposed and removed.
- The place of sports and recreation in healthy living will be promoted in the nation.
- Sports will be used as a positive energy outlet for the youth
- That there will be an increase in sport-related evangelism.
- God will raise up good role models for the youth in the sports and recreation sector
Pray for the National Council of Sports management and staff that:
- There will be good management of the organization;
- There will be wise allocation of resources;
- The Lord will expose and bring down corruption and the corrupt;
- The Lord will promote righteousness and justice in the governance and service of this organization.
Pray that in the years ahead God will be greatly glorified through sports and recreation in Uganda.