On 8th October 2012, the eve of our nation’s first Golden Jubilee, we covenanted our nation to God for His purposes in the next 50 years. Leading up to Independence Day annually, Uganda Jubilee Network coordinates a season of prayer focusing on God’s face and praying for the fulfillment of His purposes for our land. The main focus of this year’s prayer and fasting season is praying for the Economy and Business Sector and the future of our country and Africa. We invite the Body of Christ to participate in this prayer season starting 19th August 2017 and ending 7th October 2017.
The objectives for the 2017 prayer season are:
- To pray for the Economy and Business Sphere and the future of Uganda and Africa
- To humble ourselves before God and seek His face as the Body of Christ
- To pray that God will be greatly glorified in the Economy and Business Sphere of Uganda.
- To pray for the Body of Christ to rise to her calling in all the spheres of society
- To pray for the full manifestation of God’s Kingdom in all spheres of Ugandan society by the Jubilee in 2062
- To renew our covenant with God concerning our nation
- To seek God’s enablement for us to fulfill our individual, family, congregational and organizational roles in seeing God’s plan for our generation come to pass.
This prayer guide covers seven themes linked to the weeks of the 50-day fast. Each week focuses on an aspect of the BUSINESS AND ECONOMY SPHERE and related institutions.
Guidelines for the prayer and fasting
- The recommended mode of fasting is taking one meal over a 24-hour period. We encourage the drinking of plenty of water and light fluids.
- While we encourage believers to participate in all the 50 days, we recognize that many believers are not accustomed to this length of fast so we suggest some variations for those who would like to take part in a shorter fast during the period. The fasting period is seven weeks. If one took a 24-hour fast on a different day of each of the seven weeks, they would cover all the themes in the prayer guide.
- Alternatively one could choose one week during the seven-week period to fast and pray over all the themes covered in the prayer guide.
- This period provides the opportunity for every believer to exercise him or herself in the discipline of fasting and stretch him or herself a little more than they are accustomed to.
- Personal, family, organizational, and local congregational matters regarding God’s plans for the future should be covered in addition to the themes in this guide.
Dates to Note
Prayer groups and congregations should organize the events listed below locally:
- Friday, 18th August 2017 (evening): dedication of the prayer and fasting season. This should include praying for those committing to the fasting season.
- Weekly prayer vigils: Friday nights are recommended times for the weekly prayer vigil. Prayer leaders must ensure they get the necessary permission and observe local regulations. Apart from praying through the themes of the week. Time should be spent praying through various family, church, local, and national needs.
- Saturday, 7th October 2017 (evening): conclusion of the fasting season. Sharing of Holy Communion is recommended as we pray for the hastening of the day Jesus spoke of in Matthew 26:29, Mark 14:25 and Luke 22:18.
- Sunday, 8th October 2017: Independence eve night prayer vigil. Dedicating the year 2017/2018.